If you are a St. Louis native then you know our weather is quite unpredictable! We have already had our first snow and the odds of more to come during the winter months are pretty good.
Check out these great tips when it comes to winter weather driving.
- Have your vehicle winterized. Add additional blankets and other supplies in your vehicle in case you should become stranded.
- Clear all snow and ice from mirrors, windows, headlights, and taillights before driving your vehicle to ensure optimal visibility.
- Reduce your speed and leave early. Planning your route to avoid steep upgrades and lightly-traveled roads will keep you safer when traveling on ice or snow.
- Drive with your headlights on low-beam so you can be seen by others.
- Use caution on bridges and overpasses, as they freeze more quickly.
- Watch for black ice, which is a thin transparent layer of ice on roadways that is extremely slippery and hard to spot. Black ice is common on overpasses and bridges.
- For more tips visit MODOT’s Winter Driving Tips
When traveling with while snow plow trucks are clearing the road there are several things to keep in mind.
- Plow trucks are large, slow moving vehicles which are not easy to stop, especially when their plow is down
- Don’t pass a snow plow unless absolutely necessary.
- Never assume the snow plow operator can see you. Every truck has blind spots which reduce side and rear visibility
- Always allow plenty of stopping distance; don’t follow too closely. This also reduces the chance of loose material hitting your vehicle.
- Keep your headlights on low beam.
- Slow Down!
Everyone here at Spirit West Motor Carriage Auto Body Repair wishes you safe travels during the winter! If you are in need of auto collision repair service contact Spirit West Motor Carriage at 636.394.1712 Monday through Friday between 7:30am-5:30pm or stop by our convenient location at 610 Park Lane, Manchester, MO 63021.